Federal Member for Pearce, Christian Porter MP, has congratulated 29 young sporting champions from Pearce who have received a $500 grant from the federal government.
The Local Sporting Grants Program is an initiative from the Australian Government to help towards the cost of travel, accommodation, equipment or uniforms when competing, coaching or officiating in a nationally recognised sporting championship.
“It is important that we encourage young kids into sport and help them pursue their talents,” Mr Porter said.
“Unfortunately it is often a struggle for families meeting the expense of attending championships.
“These grants are a way for the Australian Government to contribute some assistance in meeting the financial cost of travel, accommodation, uniforms or equipment for participation at these important events.”
Some of the local sporting champions that received grants under the last round of 2013-14 include (L-R):
· Nikita Mawhirt – Upper Swan – Victorian Pentathlon Championships
· Mason Talbot – Jane Brook – National Youth Baseball Championships
· Joshua Greenham – Parkerville – National U14 Baseball Championships
· Emily Hindle – Mundaring – Australian U18 Indoor Hockey Championships
· Aleisha Power – Clackline – Australian U18 Hockey Championships
· Lauren Johnson – Chidlow – Australian U15 Hockey Champions
· Megan Armstrong-Boase – Glen Forrest – Australian U15 Hockey Championships
· Chester Hinton – Jane Brooke – National Junior Track Cycling Championships
· Liam Boyle – Stoneville – National Youth Archery Championships
· Kalam Thompson – Mount Helena – Australian Gymnastics Championships (front).
Applications for the first round for 2014/15 are now open and close on 30 June 2014. For more information on how to apply or for general enquiries, please visit www.christianporter.com.au/grants/